Brno University of Technology is the second largest and second oldest technical university in the Czech Republic. Its history goes back to 1849, when the Czech-German Technical Institute was established in Brno. Then in 1899, after fifty years, the Technical University providing instruction in the Czech language was founded. In the first ten years of its existence, it ranked among the best technical universities not only in Central Europe but also across the continent. During World War II the University was closed, like all other Czech universities.
In 1951, the University was abolished and the Military Academy occupied its place. However, very soon the necessity of the restoration of the civil technical university in Brno became apparent and, since 1956, it has gradually been extended. At present the University has 7 faculties, more than 13 998 students and approx. 1 000 members of the academic staff. The University offers a wide variety of courses not only in engineering but also in applied sciences, business and management, architecture and even in fine arts.
The University consists of the following faculties:
- Faculty of Civil Engineering,
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering,
- Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science,
- Faculty of Architecture,
- Faculty of Business and Management,
- Faculty of Chemistry,
- Faculty of Fine Arts.
The Faculty of Civil Engineering is situated in the centre of Brno and with an enrolment of over 3,000 students, it is the largest faculty of the Brno Technical University. Studies in this faculty last five years and are completed by the final state examination. The final state examination consists of the defense of a thesis or design and an oral examination before the state examination board.
The Faculty offers the following study programmes: bachelor study programmes, master study programmes and doctoral study programmes.